09 June 2019

Mrs. Robinson

Weddings sure take a lot out of a person. Top that with a piano recital and all the preparations and admin work right at the cusp of the last stretch before the wedding and it's a recipe brimming with potential disaster.

At least for me. Because despite having decent organization and planning skills, I have had little to no concept of ALL the details - the sheer AMOUNT of details - that go into planning a wedding. No, scratch that. I didn't have any idea how many details would go into planning MY wedding, the wedding I've been desperately wanting to stay chill. I know how much goes into planning a wedding. I know how much planning goes into organizing a grad. I know how much planning goes into organizing a school dance, a recital, or social event where multiple tiers, people, and deadlines are involved and collaborations needed. The wedding I'm planning was *always*  gonna be low-key and most certainly not involve two-thirds of the frivolous, exorbitant touches the even moderate wedding goes for these days. Not that a glitzy, bedazzled, sequin-riddled, fabric swagged shindig wouldn't be lovely. It's just that the idea of trying to plan that many details is anxiety bottled in a gallon jug. And. It's just not what we're about.

And. Maybe more naively than foolishly, I really anticipated getting to the finish line with very little drama. But for all the reasons why and when this wedding is taking place, I didn't think the people around me would create it. I thought it would be me. So the theory that if I exhibit self-control thereby inhibiting the creation and proportions of drama, voila, no drama. No go. No, no, it's not that bad. It's just not what I was expecting or where I thought it would come from.

And I am SICK of hearing about/getting wind of/catching wafts of details I have and haven't thought about. But to expound on that would be to not recognize the inescapable learning process that is this thing.

Cheers and until the next time....

...quite possibly as Mrs. Robinson...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post your comment